By Michael C. Mack
1. What thoughts or feelings do you have when a preacher, missionary, or charity asks for money you’ve worked so hard to earn?
Read 2 Corinthians 8:1-14.
2. What is the connection between grace and generosity?
3. How do you account for the paradoxes of severe trials with overflowing joy and also extreme poverty with rich generosity?
4. How can someone possibly give beyond their ability?
5. How did Jesus model sacrificial giving for us?
6. How does the Macedonian attitude toward giving compare to most people you know?
7. What do you think would happen in our community if every person in our church excelled not only in faith, speech, knowledge, earnestness, and love but also in giving?
8. Pray, asking God to show you needs or ministries to which your group could possibly give. Have each person write a list of the needs and ministries that came to mind. When finished, share each of your lists with the group and see what commonalities you came up with.
Michael Mack is the author of 16 small group books and discussion guides. He also leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).