By Dan Lentz
1. How did you meet your spouse? If you are single, what words of wisdom have you received over time about relationships with the opposite sex?
(Here is an alternate activity if you have all couples in your group. Send the men outside the room and ask the ladies to answer three questions about their relationship. Examples: “What did you do on your first date?” “What is your spouse’s favorite home-cooked meal?” Once the ladies have answered, bring the men back in and see how they do at matching their wives’ answers.)
2. What are some nonbiblical things you hear people say about marriage these days? Why do these false ideas not work in marriage relationships?
3. What do you think is the biggest threat to marriage in our culture?
4. What are some critical practices to keep marriages and relationships with the opposite sex spiritually healthy?
5. One key to healthy marriages is to remember that your spouse is not the enemy. Instead, your marriage or relationship faces a common enemy you need to fight against together. Spend time as a group praying for strength to combat enemies of spiritually healthy marriages. Pray also for those who are single to be fulfilled and to have strength to resist temptations.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.