By Dan Lentz
1. What’s the best job you’ve ever had? Were you ever tempted to leave that job for more money or higher status? What is your idea of a dream job from which you would never be tempted to retire?
2. How would you describe each of Jesus’ temptations in your own words? (It may be helpful to have everyone take a piece of paper and make a simple chart with each temptation listed and a few words that describe the temptation.)
3. Since Satan continues to use similar tactics over time, describe situations in which people are similarly tempted today. (Use the chart you just created and list modern day temptations that correspond to each of Jesus’ temptations.)
4. Look at the responses Jesus gave to Satan after each temptation. How can we use similar responses to help us in our own battles with temptation?
5. Prayer time: Start by quietly thinking about where and when are you tempted most. Next, determine what category of temptation that is most difficult for you to face. Recognize that Jesus knows your struggle. Then confess any failures to the Lord and ask for his strength and wisdom to handle future temptations. If you want to share anything with the group after this quiet time, do so.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.