By Dan Lentz
1. You sometimes hear the expression, “Get serious!” used by people who challenge others to get more focused on a specific task or purpose. Talk about a recent time when you got serious. What prompted you to get serious about the task or purpose?
Read 1 Samuel 7:3-17.
2. What did Samuel do and say that makes you think he was getting serious about the Israelites returning to the Lord?
3. If you were leading a Christ-following group into battle against evil forces (and in many ways you are), what would you tell your group to do in order to get ready for the battle?
4. When the Lord helped the Israelites prevail in their battle, Samuel remembered the event by setting up a stone as a memorial to what the Lord had done. In the past, when the Lord helped you, did you do anything to help you remember, celebrate, and praise the Lord for what he did?
5. What are some ways we can remember what the Lord has done for us?
6. Take some extended time during prayer to praise the Lord for what he has done to help you. Be specific. Encourage everyone to pray at least one prayer of praise.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.