By Dan Lentz
1. What frightened you when you were 8 years old? What frightened you when you were 16 years old? What frightens you today?
Read 2 Chronicles 19:4-11.
2. In these verses, we frequently read the phrase, “the fear of the Lord.” What do you think the difference is between being frightened and fearing the Lord?
3. How does the fear of the Lord become a positive rather than a negative motivation?
4. According to these verses, what should the fear of the Lord motivate us to do?
5. In what ways do you need to develop a more healthy fear of the Lord, and how do you expect that to change your heart?
6. For prayer time, write a prayer letter to the Lord. Share with him the things that frighten you right now and ask him to replace worldly fear with a fear of the Lord. Ask him to change your heart and help you turn back to him with courage. If group members want to share their letters to the Lord with the group, that is fine; otherwise ask a volunteer to pray out loud to close.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.