By Dan Lentz
1. What’s your favorite way to celebrate a special accomplishment? As a reward for your achievement, would you rather receive a special gift, go out to your favorite restaurant, take a trip, throw a party, or something else?
Read Nehemiah 12:27-38, 43.
2. Not only did the completed wall display the work of the Lord, but Israel’s public worship and celebration were witnessed by their pagan neighbors as well. What effect do you think this public demonstration of worship had on their neighbors?
3. What impact do worship gatherings have on nonbelievers today?
4. Could any of the ideas from these verses be adapted today as a way your group can witness to its culture? Discuss several ideas.
5. How do you personally spread your joy to people around you in everyday life?
6. Ask each group member to take a piece of paper and list the names of six people he or she knows well, but who also need to grow closer to the Lord. Beside each name list one way to make an impact for the Lord on that person’s life. Then pray for each person by name.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.