By Dan Lentz
1. What act of service do you most enjoy doing for others? Tell the group what you like most about that act of service and why you find fulfillment doing it.
Read Luke 1:57, 58, 67-79.
2. The prophesy in these verses is about John the Baptist who would “prepare the way” for Jesus and his ministry on earth. In what ways, according to these verses, was John going to prepare the way for Jesus’ ministry?
3. Do you ever see yourself as someone who prepares the way for the ministry of Jesus to those you are around? In what ways do you prepare those you know (neighbors, classmates, work associates, friends, family, and so on) to meet Jesus?
4. How can this group help one another become more equipped to prepare the way for others to meet Jesus as time goes on?
5. Use some of the ideas just mentioned and brainstorm a group service project you can do together. Make it a project that “prepares the way” for others to see Jesus. Perhaps the project will have a Christmas theme like taking Christmas presents to a homeless shelter, singing Christmas songs at a nursing home, or helping a family in need. Pray over all the details of your plan and pray for the people you will be serving.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.