By Dan Lentz
1. Think of a tragic news headline you’ve seen in the past couple of weeks and mention it to the group. What is your typical response to tragic news headlines like this one?
• Anger—the world is so fallen!
• Sadness—it has to be so hard for the people going through this!
• Questioning—why did this happen?
• Hope—there is always a reason!
Read Colossians 3:5-17.
2. Based on these verses, compare and contrast the “old self” and the “new life.” How do these verses describe the differences?
3. What spiritual disciplines or practices help you overcome the tendencies of your earthly nature?
4. Thinking about people you know (maybe even yourself) who are experiencing life without the peace of Christ ruling in their hearts, how can you help guide and encourage them to put to death what lies in their earthly nature?
5. As a group, discuss and develop an action plan that will “let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom.” Be bold enough to revisit the mission of your group and suggest changes in your group format if necessary to accomplish the mission.
6. Close by praying for requests focused on needed life changes, both in yourself and others you love in Christ.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.