By Dan Lentz
1. Select one group member at a time and have the rest of the group guess answers to the following questions. Once the group has guessed the answers that apply to that person, have the individual reveal the correct answers to the questions. Then move to the next group member and so on. Here are the questions:
a. Would you rather drink hot beverages or cold beverages?
b. Would you rather watch a movie at home or in the theater?
c. Would you prefer to be involved in lively group discussion or listen to an inspirational teaching?
Read Ezra 7:6-10; 8:21-23.
2. Using these verses as a foundation, how would you describe Ezra and his motivation to a friend who was struggling with his faith?
3. Ezra proceeded on his journey in faith, without human protection. What do you think is the difference between faith and recklessness?
4. Have you ever fasted for a concern that you were passionate about? What was that experience like?
5. During your prayer time, consider fasting as a group to petition the Lord about something close to your heart. Plan the type of fast you want to engage in, when you will fast, and how you will go about it.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.