By Dan Lentz
1. Do you go through some type of routine personal evaluation? (Examples: employer evaluations, accountability partner meetings, written assessments, etc.) If so, what are those processes like for you? Do you enjoy evaluation? Do you wish you had more evaluation opportunities or fewer?
Read Isaiah 56:6, 7; Jeremiah 7:9-11; Mark 11:15-19.
2. What do you see going on in people’s hearts in the temple area that brought about Jesus’ “cleansing” actions?
3. Based on the Old Testament Scriptures you read, were Jesus’ actions justified? Do you think the people in the temple thought his actions were justified? Why or why not?
4. Have you ever been in a situation where you thought you went through a harsh evaluation or disciplinary action? Was it justified? How did you process it after it was done? Did it help you grow?
5. During prayer, spend some quiet time going through an examination exercise. Allot time to journal any Scriptures or thoughts that come to mind as you are praying. Ask the Lord to show you answers to these questions:
• Is anything a barrier to my fellowship with the Lord or others?
• Do I serve the Lord with enthusiasm?
• Am I living by faith in my daily actions?
• Am I worshipping with joy?
• Am I giving with gladness?
• Am I reaching out to others in love?
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.