By Dan Lentz
1. From your experience in the community you grew up in, what was the biggest prejudice problem?
• Racial prejudice
• Economic prejudice
• Educational prejudice
• Religious prejudice
• Social lifestyle prejudice
Read James 2:1-13.
2. From the text, what different forms of favoritism do you see described? Does the favoritism described in these verses remind you of any favoritism you see going on around you today?
3. What’s the difference between favoritism and prejudice, if any?
4. It’s sometimes hard to become aware of your own prejudices and favoritisms. How can we help make one another aware of our biases in a loving way?
5. What areas of favoritism have come to your mind during this discussion that you would like to have the Lord help you remove from your life?
6. Favoritism is a deep-seated tendency. Spend some time praying that the Lord will reveal any sinful prejudices you hold and then confess and repent of those. If you have wronged anyone because of your favoritism, make an action plan to right the wrong as soon as possible.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.