By Michael C. Mack
1. Who was your sports or movie hero when you were a child?
Read 1 Corinthians 1:10-17; 3:4-9.
2. What was causing disunity in the Corinthian church? Why was this such a big deal to Paul?
3. What’s the difference in attitude between mere humans (1 Corinthians 3:4) and genuine, mature Christ followers?
4. Paul often encouraged people to follow his example (1 Corinthians 11:1; Philippians 3:17; 2 Thessalonians 3:7). What’s the difference between those times and what he’s saying here?
5. How have you seen people today focus on the messengers rather than the gospel message? What does that do to the church?
6. Discuss and list the principles you see in these passages for how we should use our spiritual gifts and serve so that we preserve unity.
7. If Paul were writing to your church or group, what do you think he would say in his appeal to you? Are there any quarrels or divisions, even beneath the surface? (Try not to argue over this!) What would Paul instruct you to do?
Michael Mack is the author of 16 small group books and discussion guides, including I’m a Leader . . . Now What? (Standard Publishing). He also leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).
Comments: no replies