By Dan Lentz
1. What’s your favorite family tradition? What is involved? How often do you do it? Why is it so enjoyable?
Read Matthew 15:1-11, 15-20.
2. How would you describe the term tradition to someone who was unfamiliar with it?
3. What are the traditions mentioned in this passage that became a point of contention between Jesus and the Pharisees? Do you think their traditions had become equal with law? Why or why not?
4. According to this passage, what is the danger in putting too high of a value on tradition?
5. Do you think we have any traditions in the church that have become equal with law? Do you have any traditions in your group that have become equal with law? What needs to change?
6. Pray as a group and ask the Lord to make you aware of any issues or traditions that might be holding your group back from full devotion to the Lord. If needed, ask him to help change your processes so that your group is not ineffective in your service to the Lord.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.
Comments: no replies