By Michael C. Mack
1. What is the biggest obstacle in life you’ve had to overcome? How did you do it?
Read 1 John 4:13–5:5.
2. In the original language, the word live (or abide or dwell in other Bible versions) appears six times in 4:12-16. What does it look like for you to live or abide in God and for him to live in you?
3. As the invisible God (1 Timothy 1:7) comes to live in us as believers, we become the visible body of Christ. How does that fact help illuminate the rest of this passage?
4. How is love defined and confined in this passage?
5. How does knowing God’s love help you live as a Christian? (Be as specific as you can.) How does it help you love the Father? other Christians? people who are lost?
6. What things help you grow (be “made complete”) in love? God’s Word? Prayer? This group? Life circumstances? Other?
7. How does true love help a Christian “overcome the world”? What does that look like?
Michael Mack leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).