By Michael C. Mack
1. Who is the most generous person you’ve ever known? What makes the person so generous?
Read Matthew 23:2-12; Mark 12:38-44.
2. Come up with as many contrasts as you can between the religious leaders and the widow. Consider their dress, titles, how they were treated, how they may have prayed, given, and served. How would you contrast their motives and their hearts?
3. Based on these passages, what should a follower of Jesus look for in a role model?
4. Jesus taught his disciples that God alone has ultimate authority. Yet he also taught that we must give honor and respect to humans he has put into leadership authority. How can we as Christ’s church live in the proper balance?
5. Look at the kingdom principle in verses 11, 12 (see also Philippians 2:1-11). How can your group help one another to have this same attitude as Christ?
6. In comparison to the other givers, the widow showed total trust in God to take care of her. What would it mean to you this week to “go all in” with your faith?
Michael Mack leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).
Comments: no replies