By Mike Mack
1. Besides your salvation, what is the best thing you’ve ever gotten for free?
Read Romans 3:21-31.
2. Your group is in charge of explaining and defending “justification by grace” to a group of people who have never heard of this. What specifics will you cover? (For example: Is it an act or a process? What is God’s role and people’s role? How is it accomplished?)
3. Look again at the absolutes (such as all and only) in this passage. What do these words tell you about Universalism, the belief that Jesus’ death makes everyone right with God, regardless of their religious beliefs?
4. What is the difference between God making us righteous and declaring us righteous?
5. How is it possible for a holy, perfect God to declare sinners righteous?
6. How does this passage square God’s holiness and wrath with his love?
7. This passage should lead followers of Christ to praise God. Close your time in prayer, simply worshipping God for this good news.
Michael C. Mack leads church training events and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).