By Michael C. Mack
1. Would you want to know the date and cause of your death? Why or why not?
Read John 11:38-44.
2. How would you describe Jesus’ heart and his motive in this passage?
3. What were his overall purposes for this miraculous sign (also see vv. 4, 15, 26)?
4. Martha believed in Jesus. She even believed he could have healed Lazarus’ illness (v. 21). Yet she still had some practical reservations (v. 39). When have you had a “But, Lord” experience?
5. What are some of the differences between the resurrection of Lazarus and of Jesus?
6. Jesus has all authority over life and death (see Matthew 28:18; Revelation 1:18). How does that affect your view of death? How does that affect how you would respond to the sudden death of a loved one? How does that affect how you would respond to news that you have only months to live?
Michael Mack writes, leads church training events, and consults with churches through his ministry, Small Group Leadership (www.smallgroupleadership.com).