Use either or both of these questions to introduce the lesson:
1. Imagine coming to a door marked, “Authorized Personnel Only Beyond This Point.” What might happen to someone who ignored the sign?
2.What is a backstage pass? Why would you need one? How would you get one?
Read Hebrews 12:18-21 and Exodus 19:12, 13, 16-22.
1. What physical mountain is spoken of in these verses? Why were the people of Israel called to that mountain, but allowed to go no further? What did they need to learn about being in the presence of God?
2. What would it take to be able to meet God on Mount Sinai? Why is that too big of a mountain for us to climb?
Read Hebrews 12:22-24.
3. Mount Zion in the Old Testament refers to Jerusalem, the location of the temple. Why were the people forbidden from meeting God on Sinai but were encouraged to meet him at the temple? What authorized them to meet him there?
4. Since the Old Testament temple is no longer standing, what “Mt. Zion” is the writer referring to here? Who authorizes us to enter this Mount Zion?
Read Hebrews 12:14, 15, 25-29.
5. Now that we have access to God, what are some dos and don’ts regarding this new status?
6. If we are a part of a “kingdom that cannot be shaken,” will there never be “shake-ups” in our lives? Why or why not?
7. Jesus now allows us to be authorized personnel, people who can go “backstage” into the presence of God. What happens if we begin thinking we have earned that access? See Matthew 7:21-23.