Use one or both of these questions to introduce the lesson:
1. What are some things that you consider to be the best? (Examples may include best restaurant, best movie ever, best friend, etc.) What separates these “bests” from all others in that category?
2. Have you noticed that at almost any sporting event you will find fans sporting giant foam fingers and chanting, “We’re Number One!”? Why are these boasts always gross overstatements?
Read Revelation 4:1-6a.
1. Look at this entire chapter and underline the word throne every time it appears. (The word translated seats in verse 4 of the KJV is the same word translated throne throughout the chapter.) From this exercise alone, propose a title for this chapter.
2. Are you familiar with the term “sensory overload”? Imagine being in the environment described by John in these verses. What is stimulating your senses, especially hearing and vision? Try to list some words that would describe how you would feel.
3. What does the position of thrones (seats, KJV) around the center throne suggest to you? What is the relationship of the one on the throne and those on the surrounding thrones?
Read Revelation 4:6b, 8
4. Along with the 24 crowned elders around the throne, what other beings are present? What do you think is represented by picturing creatures covered with eyes? (Consider how we use words like insight, vision, foresight, etc.)
5. Considering the further descriptions in verse 7 (the creatures representing all forms of life) and the continuous activity of the creatures, what impression do you get of their function?
Read Revelation 4:9-11.
6. The praises of these verses are expanded in Revelation 11:16-18 and 19:4-8. Summarize all of these messages. Who is to be praised and why?
7. We rate a lot of things in our lives as “the best” or as “number one.” But we should recognize that there is only One who is “the best of the best.” What very good thing(s) in your life are you at times tempted to raise to a higher position than deserved? How can you tell when a “good thing” begins to become a “god thing” in your life?