Use one or both of these questions to introduce the lesson.
1. Have you or someone you know ever been given a negative label that you couldn’t shake?
2. What are difficulties, freedoms, or costs related to scrapping a project and starting from scratch?
Read Colossians 2:9-15
1. Look closely at verses 9 and 10 and discuss what they mean. In verse 12, what part do baptism and faith have in bringing us into the equation with God?
2. Discuss what it means in v. 13 to be “dead in your sins” and made “alive with Christ,” and when this happens. Is this a one-time deal or does it happen repeatedly in the life of a believer?
3. Jesus was the fullness of God in human form. Each of us are filled to capacity with the Holy Spirit when he takes up residence inside of us; this is how we are made alive in Christ. Discuss what it means to have the power of God inside of you to make decisions, resist temptation, and live a holy life.
Read Colossians 2:8, 20-23
4. Paul states that religious traditions with no basis in Scripture are simply hollow rules, human commands and teachings, and are destined to perish. Name some religious traditions that have no basis in God’s Word. Discuss the difference between having a religion and living a life of faith in Christ alone.
5. The heart, mind, and mouth are the source of all sin issues. Read Colossians 3:1-10 and discuss where we should place our focus. Talk about whose responsibility it is to kill what’s in our earthly nature and discuss practical ways to go about doing it.
6. As you read through Colossians 3:1-10, you’ll find two lists of traits we are to eliminate from our lives: one in vs. 5-7 and the other in vs. 8-11. Does one set seem easier to put to death than the other? Discuss how you see each reflected and manifested in the culture around you.
7. Have you ever repented and claimed forgiveness of past sin, yet still felt guilty? Does temptation still pull at you or the condemnation hang heavy over you? Examine Romans 7:21–8:9 line by line and soak in what Paul wrote about slavery and freedom. Can you receive the work of Christ and be set free right now?
Conclude your group time with prayer, using the following as a guide. Father, you sent your Son to give us abundant life. Set us free from our bondage to sin! Show us how to surrender all areas of our lives to your Holy Spirit so we can experience the peace of Christ.