By Dan Lentz
1. Share with the group three activities you love to do—activities you do because you feel happy when you do them.
Read Matthew 5:1-12.
2. Review the character traits and attitudes mentioned in these verses:
• Poverty of spirit
• Hungering and thirsting for righteousness
• Purity of heart
• Making peace
• Persecution because of righteousness
3. Even though we don’t necessarily equate these traits with blessings or happiness, which of these traits do you see most often in happy people you know?
4. Which of these character traits have you experienced as a blessing in your own life?
5. Which of these character traits will you ask God to develop more deeply in your life?
6. Form groups of three or four. Go around your small circle and pray for the person on your left. Pray that these character traits and attitudes will become part of the fabric of that person’s life and happiness.
T. Daniel Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.