By Dan Lentz
1. What is one of your pet peeves and why do you think it became a pet peeve to you?
Read Matthew 5:17-26.
2. These verses point out that the spirit of the law is just as important as the letter of the law. What are some areas of the law where you think it is difficult to follow both the letter of the law and the spirit of the law?
3. In your experience, are Christians better at keeping both the spirit of the law and the letter of the law as compared to the unbelievers around them?
4. What impact does the way we handle the law have on unbelievers around us? Give some examples.
5. Find a small wooden cross and put it on a table in the room. Cut pieces of black construction paper and give each group member a piece along with a pencil. Have group members pray silently for discernment of any sin that may be a roadblock to their relationship with Jesus. Then write that sin on the black piece of paper and place it on the table where the cross is located. Writing with pencil on black paper will keep the confessions anonymous.
6. Once all have placed their papers next to the cross, encourage group members to talk about something that may be heavy on their hearts, then close with a prayer of praise for the Lord’s forgiving work at the cross.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.