By Dan Lentz
1. Distribute pieces of paper and ask group members to list as many organized professional, club, sport, and group activities they can think of that they have participated in during their lifetime (some examples are band, 4-H, labor union, sports team, Rotary club, ladies Bible study, PTO, and so on).
When everyone’s list is complete, give group members 10 additional minutes to get up and find at least one other group member with whom they have at least five past activities in common. Share those findings with the rest of the group.
Read Acts 8:9-25.
2. How would you describe pride, both in the positive sense and in the negative sense? Is pride a positive attribute or a negative attribute for most people?
3. From today’s verses, where do you see a positive sense of pride at work in Simon’s life and where do you see the negative sense of pride at work in his life?
4. Based on verses 20-23, how can we use the example of Simon to evaluate our own areas of sinful pride?
5. For prayer time, have each group member write out a prayer to the Lord on the back of his activity list paper. These written prayers should be kept between the group member and the Lord. Have each group member confess areas of pride and pray for a moldable, humble heart.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.