By Dan Lentz
1. Form smaller groups of three or four people. Ask each group to come up with a practical example of following the letter of the law and another example of following the spirit of the law. Have each group share its examples with the larger group. Ask individual group members to state whether their personality type tends to gravitate toward the spirit of the law or the letter of the law when contemplating rules and directions.
Read Luke 6:1-11.
2. After reading these verses, what examples do you see of following the letter of the law?
3. What are some examples of following the spirit of the law in these verses?
4. What is Jesus’ message to the Pharisees in these verses?
5. What is Jesus’ message to his disciples in these verses?
6. What is Jesus’ message to you in these verses? How is Jesus asking you to change your thinking or actions based on the examples in these verses?
7. Reconvene the smaller groups for prayer time. Share personal requests within the groups and pray for one another before concluding your group time.
Dan Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.
For more small group ministry resources, visit www.smallgroups.com.
Comments: no replies