by Dan Lentz
1. Order pizza delivery for your small group this week (or bake your own) and while you are waiting on the pizza, do the following activity.
Cut sheets of paper into large circles and give one paper circle (paper pizza) to each person. Draw and label slices on your paper pizza to represent the various roles you have in life (parent, child, student, employee, hobbyist, volunteer, cook, kid chauffeur, and so on). The size of your labeled slices should correspond to the amount of time each role consumes (for instance, if you work full-time, your employee slice of pizza may be one of your larger ones). When finished, share your pizzas with the group by highlighting your various roles and the size of each slice. (You can eat the real pizza afterward!)
Read Mark 8:27-9:1.
2. According to these verses, who did people in Jesus’ day think he was?
3. Who do people today think Jesus is?
4. How has your understanding of Jesus’ identity changed over time?
5. Name one way you need to deny yourself, take up your cross, and follow him today.
6. Close with prayer that you will not be ashamed of Jesus Christ and that you will not value worldly things over the things of Christ.
T. Daniel Lentz works for Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.