by Dan Lentz
1. Think about two or three people who have been influential in your life. Talk about the characteristics or actions that made them so influential to you.
Read Philippians 2:1-11.
2. Even though the following list of Christ-like characteristics from this passage are similar to one another, try coming up with a few specific everyday examples for each one:
• being like minded, with the same love and purpose.
• doing nothing out of selfish ambition, but considering others better than yourself.
• looking out for others’ interests above your own.
3. Of all the specific examples you came up with, which are the hardest for you and which are the easiest for you? How can others help you apply these Christ-like characteristics to your own life, particularly the ones that are difficult for you to do?
4. What is most amazing to you about Christ taking on the very nature of a servant?
5. These verses tell us that that one day every tongue will confess and every knee will bow. Why wait for that day? Close your group time with prayer. Take requests as is your custom, but then spend your time praying on your knees and be sure to confess that Jesus is Lord!
T. Daniel Lentz works for the Small Group Network in Whitestown, Indiana.